07 Dec ALL THE RELEVANT NEWS: WEDNESDAY
🌍Stories from the Villa:
President Buhari has assured the International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO), that Nigeria will continue to make significant investments in the provision of aviation infrastructure for safe, secure, environmentally friendly and sustainable economic development of international civil aviation.
* At the commissioning of the President Muhammadu Buhari Technology and Innovation Complex at NASENI Headquarters, Idu Industrial Zone, he declared that the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure (NASENI), would be a pivotal legacy his administration will bequeath to the next administration in 2023.
* On Tuesday, he reiterated once again that the 2023 general elections would be free, fair and credible, as manipulations would not be allowed in any form.
He spoke at State House, Abuja, while playing host to West African Elders Forum Pre-Election Mediation Mission, led by former Sierra Leonean President, Dr. Ernest Bai Koroma.
* He has asked the senate to confirm the nomination of Edward Adamu and Aisha Ahmed for re-appointment as deputy governors of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN)
🌍The Federal Government has inaugurated a special investigation panel to check crude oil theft in the country, with the national security adviser, Babagana Monguno, saying the federal government may lose $23 billion in 2023 if crude oil theft continues.
🌍Oil weakened on Wednesday, with Brent crude falling close to its lowest this year, over concern about recession and easing fears that a Western cap on Russian oil prices would significantly curb supply. Brent crude fell $1.05, or 1.3%, to $78.30 a barrel by 1020 GMT.
* Nigeria’s oil production on Tuesday hit 1.59 million barrels per day, from 937, 000 barrels per day it was as at September, the Chief Upstream Investment Officer (CUIO), NNPC Upstream Investment Management Services (NUIMS), Bala Wunti, said on Tuesday.
🌍The Central Bank of Nigeria has directed deposit money banks and other financial institutions to ensure that over-the-counter cash withdrawals by individuals and corporate entities per week do not exceed N100,000 and N500, 000, respectively.
🌍The Nigerian Communications Commission’s Computer Security Incident Response Team (NCC-CSIRT) has warned about the potential harm of taking part in the Invisible Challenge on short-form video hosting service, TikTok, revealing that it exposes devices to Information-Stealing Malware.
🌍The Chairman of Heirs Holdings, Tony Elumelu has been named as one of the awardees of the TIME100 Impact Awards 2022 for his selfless humanitarian activities and support for business up-scaling for Africans in Africa.
🌍Security Stories: Ekpe Ogbu, the abducted Benue State Commissioner for Housing and Urban Development, has regained his freedom.
* Gunmen stormed Yarbulutu Village in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto the state, killing six people including three policemen.
* Two people, including a police officer, were killed following an attack on a police checkpoint along Presco junction in Abakaliki, the Ebonyi capital on Monday.
* The Federal Capital Territory Police Command has confirmed attack on residents of Kubwa Relocation Estate, Arab Road, Kubwa, Abuja. The Command rescued three victims and recovered firearms and ammunition including one AK47 Riffle and 25 Rounds of ammunition.
🌍Russia-Ukraine War: A third Russian airfield was set ablaze by a drone strike, a day after Ukraine demonstrated an apparent new ability to penetrate hundreds of kilometres into Russia with attacks on two air bases.
* Ukraine’s military intelligence chief said Russia had enough high-precision missiles to conduct several more big air strikes on Ukraine before it runs out of stocks.
* Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy visited troops close to front lines in the eastern Donbas region to mark the country’s Armed Forces Day.
* Russia and Ukraine said they exchanged 60 prisoners of war on each side in the latest such swap.
* The United States and Russia accused each other of not being interested in Ukraine peace talks as calls grow at the United Nations for a ceasefire and diplomacy to end the war started by Moscow’s invasion nine months ago.