08 Oct ALL THE RELEVANT NEWS: THURSDAY
FEC Meeting: The 3-hour meeting chaired by President Buhari made the ff approvals,and others.
* $3.02bn for Reconstruction of Port Harcourt – Maiduguri railway; N653,886,584 to procure and deploy a hybrid spectrum monitoring system that will cover the southern part of the country, most importantly the south-east.
* construction of a deep seaport at Bonny and a railway industrial park in Port Harcourt, which will be funded through the Public/Private Partnership (PPP) arrangement.
* completion of the rehabilitation of the Abeokuta-Ibadan road.
* the purchase of 21 operational vehicles for the Federal Road Safety Corps
* contract for the procurement and installation of automotive electronic equipment, for the automatic mechatronic centre facilities in six geo-political zones of the country and the FCT.
* three pilot workshop automotive service hubs for the National Automotive Design and Development Council (NADDC)
President Buhari has assured the people of Ondo State of a free, fair and transparent poll.
VP Osinbajo says FG is concluding the process of privatising the Afam Power Station and the Afam Three Fast Power as well as the re-privatisation of the Yola Electricity Distribution Company to boost the current efforts aimed at providing reliable power supply in the country.
* At another event, he launched the World Education Week with a call for learning revolution.
Oil Monitor: Brent crude futures rose 31 cents, or 0.74%, to $42.30 a barrel at 0649GMT, after falling 1.6% on Wednesday.
*Rise caused as oil workers evacuated rigs in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico ahead of Hurricane Delta, though fuel demand concerns persisted on fading chances for a U.S. economic stimulus deal and after a build in U.S. crude inventories.
* FG deploys 1,000 automobile petrol-to-has conversion kits.
The Senate has passed the 2021-2023 Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Fiscal Strategy Paper ahead of the presentation of the 2021 Appropriation Bill to the National Assembly by President Buhari today.
FG yesterday listed its latest savings bonds on the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE), paving the way for bondholders to trade on their investments.
CBN supplied $13.99bn to the market between January and June.
EFCC says it has recorded 646 convictions and recovered more than N11 billion in monetary assets this year.
President Buhari has reappointed the MD/CEO of the Nigerian Railways Corporation (NRC), Mr. Fidet Okhiria, for another term of four years.
Nigeria’s Okonjo-Iweala, South Korea’s Yoo Myung-hee Emerge Final Candidates for WTO’s DG.
FG to completely close a section of Third Mainland Bridge from midnight of Friday, October 9 to midnight of Sunday, October 11 to allow the contractor complete the first stage of casting works.
Some 17 days after the stool became vacant, the Kaduna State Government has announced the appointment of Ahmed Bamalli as the new emir of Zazzau.
COVID-19 Update: Nigeria recorded 155 new COVID-19 cases on Wednesday, taking the total to 59,738; also 51403 patients have recovered but 1113 died. However, no death has been in the four days up to Wednesday.
Five people feared dead, buildings and cars destroyed in a gas explosion in the Baruwa area of Lagos this morning as a tanker was discharging LPG.