15 Oct All The Relevant News: Thursday
FEC Meeting: The Federal Executive Council (FEC) presided over by President Buhari made the following approvals:
* N1.6billion for the establishment of the e-Government Procurement Platform to address corrupt practices in the government’s procurement system.
* Nigeria’s contribution of $2m for the West African Power Pool
* N22.247bn for the reconstruction of Apapa-Oworonshoki-Ojota Expressway Phase Section Two, under Infrastructural Tax Credit Scheme
* An additional N8 billion for the dualisation of 560- kilometre Kano-Maiduguri Road, which will bring the total cost of the contract to N63 billion.
* N1.208 billion for the purchase and installation of security equipment at seven stations of the Nigerian Railway Corporation along Abuja-Kaduna-Kano lines.
SWAT Update: Police say no SARS personnel will be part of SWAT team;
* As anti-police brutality protests continued in some states on its eighth day, some protesters were attacked in Abuja and Lagos. But the Police said they are determined to carry out the promised reforms.
* The Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG) has identified with Nigerians protesting against police brutality and news policing strategies.
* Some groups say they will begin protests in 19 Northern States over insecurity today.
The Court of Appeal has nullified the recruitment of 10,000 constables conducted by the IGP Mohammed Adamu, in 2019. (7) CBN has threatened to sanction exporters who ship out goods without Nigerian Export Proceeds (NXP) numbers.
Chartered Institute of Stockbrokers prepares roadmap for economic revival; to hold a conference with the theme: “Navigating through the storms-re-energizing the economy through the capital market” on November 5.
President Buhari receives Ondo Governor Akeredolu, calls for a stronger sense of commitment by the leadership and members of APC that would translate into electoral victories in polls. (10) FG has moved the commencement date of the Public Works programme, under which 744,000 people to November 1.
COVID-19 Update: NCDC confirmed 179 new cases on Wednesday; so far 60834 cases have been confirmed with 52143 recoveries and 1116 deaths.
* The World Bank has approved $12 billion for developing countries to finance the purchase and distribution of COVID-19 vaccines, tests and treatment.
* FG to reopen NYSC camps on November 10.
* U.S. President Donald Trump’s youngest child, Baron, also tested positive.
* Across Europe, governments are introducing new restrictions to battle a second wave of infections